Re: fate strikes again

I know... but xdm has a loop that never exits. If you go to "Quit X-windows" when you right click, it just restarts xdm. Thank you for reminding me of the name though.

From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@futureks.net>
To: danb2@home.com
CC: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Fate strikes again
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 22:49:09 -0500 (CDT)

Sounds like you're running xdm.  If you don't want to get the "Debian
GNU/Linux login (hostname)" prompt (or whatever it's exactly called),
don't use xdm--use the 'startx' program instead.

I personally prefer xdm, myself...

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999, Dan wrote:

> Would you believe it? Thanks to the info in this message I relinked
> /dev/mouse to /dev/psaux and X finally worked with the mouse. (I tried
> /dev/psaux using the graphical xf86setup program, but it didn't work for
> some reason, how odd.) It is amazing, isn't it? Only problem now is that
> when I right click and hit "Exit X" all it does is restart X with the debian > login... I think that oughta be fixed. I'll have to look into that script
> file, I forget what its called. Oh well.
>

> >From: maxalbert@juno.com
> >To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> >Subject: Re: Thanks
> >Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 22:05:28 EDT
> >
> >To all: Thanks again.  I have a mouse driver on ttyS0, and the system
> >detected that just fine. Anyway, it's all academic at this point, since
> >my CD's will no longer install, so I am Linux-less. -- Max
> >

> >On Tue, 6 Jul 1999 11:23:36 +1000  "Carley, Jason (Australia)"
> ><jason_carley@exchange.au.ml.com> writes:
> > >I had a similar problem which I traced back to gpm running expecting a
> > >mouse
> > >on com1 when it was actually psaux.  My modem was on com1 but wvdial
> > >couldn't find it due to gpm interfering.
> > >
> > >Took me a while but it was pretty simple in the end.
> > >
> > >I too have felt like giving up but kept going and am now very happy
> > >with
> > >things. And I have tried all distributions under the sun.
> > >
> > >Jason.

  Jonathan Hall  *  jonhall@futureks.net  *  PGP public key available
 Systems Admin, Future Internet Services; Goessel, KS * (316) 367-2487
         http://www.futureks.net  *  PGP Key ID: FE 00 FD 51
         -=  Running Debian GNU/Linux 2.0, kernel 2.0.36  =-