Re: apt, Official slink CD-ROMs, and potato

On 3 Jul 99, at 12:12, Ray <maillists@sonictech.net> wrote:
> Check out the file "/etc/apt/sources.list".  That said however,
> since Potato is glbc2.1 vs. 2.0 for slink it's pretty much an all or
> nothing upgrade, ie. you'll be downloading pretty much everything.
> If you still want to move to Potato then consider "apt-get dist
> upgrade" and do a check of the list archives to see what problems
> others have had when upgrading.  Updated X debs are available for
> slink, have a look at www.netgod.net.

Mostly I wanted just a newer X SVGA server, and since www.netgod.net
has the needed Slink compatible X server, adding that to
/etc/apt/sources.list does the trick; the X SVGA server now works fine.

On the all or nothing nature of glibc2.1... I'd been having trouble
with that.  This explains why getting only one Potato .deb package
makes dselect want to download so many files, and also why a partially
completed upgrade to Potato could hose the system.  The lack in dselect
(or dpkg) of a warning as to the magnitude of the changes needed is
kind of nasty, but it's nice to have finally found out why this
happens.

Thanks for the answers...