Re: xmcd sometimes fouls up the cdrom drive

On Sun, 4 Jul 1999, G. Crimp wrote:

> Hi,
> 	I have a NEC 4 disk cdrom drive.  Sometimes after using xmcd, the
> drive seems to get all balled up.  It seems to get confused about whether
> there are any CD's in any of the 4 slots and just keeps cycling through them
> looking.  When it gets in this state, I can't play any more CD's
>
> 	If I quit xmcd, remove the audio cd and replace with a iso9660 cd, I
> can't mount the CD.  I get the "bad super-block, device busy or wrong fs
> type" message.  If I switch to single user mode the error message is more
> verbose when trying to mount the cdrom drive:

[snip]

> 	I'm wondering if anyone knows what gives, and better yet, how I can
> reset the device to regain control.  I've tried "rm /dev/hdb" followed by
> "mknod -m 771 /dev/hdb b 3 64" but that does't help.  The only solution I've
> found thus far is to reboot ( :¬( )

I had similar problems without using xmcd and thought that my CDROM was
faulty until a friend suggested that I clean the cdrom with a cleaning
disk - and it worked.

Maybe it is not your problem, but if it is, it is not so serious at all.

Johann

| Johann Spies                                 Windsorlaan 19              |
| jhspies@futurenet.co.za                3201 Pietermaritzburg             |
| Tel/Faks Nr. +27 331-46-1310		       Suid-Afrika (South Africa)  |

     "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in
      trouble."
                              Psalms 46:1