sendmail - cannot email out from a laptop with no DNS?

Can anyone help, please, with this problem?

I use a laptop at a customer's site, and when I am there, my laptop is
configured as if it were one of their own machines and is listed in their
/etc/hosts; they do not run DNS.  Their mailserver is running Microsoft
Exchange(?); I can download mail with POP3 and am supposed to be able to
upload mail with SMTP.  However, in every configuration I have tried,
including specifying the IP address directly in the "To:" address, sendmail
defers the mail, saying that it is unable to resolve the reference.

/etc/nsswitch contains only "files"; the "dns" word is commented out. I have
made sure that the SMTP server is listed in my /etc/hosts; this is the same
host from which I successfully get mail with fetchmail (POP-3 protocol).

--
      Vote against SPAM: http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/
     "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in