squid - why?

Hi,

we have installed Slink on a box that will be a normal company web server. This
means will have normal visitors wanting to know about our company and maybe some
e-commerce going on also.

I chose to install Debian as web server which, after I brought the box up,
includes the proxy squid (and of course Apache). What I would like to know is
why I need squid running on this box which will be a normal web server with a
couple of million hits a months? Will normal users vivting our site benfit from
this, or can I remove squid?

TIA

Regards,
Christian Dysthe