           read-only

>From mailinglist:

"...I have the exact same setup (unless you have the new release of '98),
even
the same partition numbers. First, i'll assume that your Windoze partition
is bootable if you tell bios to boot from the second drive, or switch the
drives around. Don't actually do it for keeps, but it's a good way to
check that it can boot on its own ;)

Then, this lilo.conf should work. This is an exact copy of my current
conf with comments added.

  boot=/dev/hda
  vga=normal
  map=/boot/map
  # Next three or four lines are for my boot menu
  prompt
  timeout=100
  message=/boot/startup-msg
  default=Linux

  # Normal Linux image
  image=/vmlinuz
    root=/dev/hda1
    label=Linux
    read-only
    alias=1
  #
  # Backup, if you use make-kpkg or the kernel debs, it automatically
  # symlinks vmlinuz.old to the kernel you just replaced
  image=/vmlinuz.old
    root=/dev/hda1
    label=oldLinux
    read-only
    alias=3
  #
  # Here's the windoze boot, in case i ever need it
  other=/dev/hdb1
    table=/dev/hdb
    # Next 4 lines tell bios to make windows think it's on the first HD
    map-drive = 0x80
      to = 0x81
    map-drive = 0x81
      to = 0x80
    # chain.b is implied.
    label=win
    alias=2

Until i added the map-drive options, windows would refuse to boot; it
would freeze after Lilo said "Loading win..." and tried to hand control to
the MBR.

Wonder if micros~1 will somehow render this ineffective when they release
W2K?...."

"...Quoting Lorne Williams(lornew@direct.ca):
> Hi gang. I've read every scrap of documentation on lilo I can find
*twice*,
> and I'm still discombobulated. Here's my situation:

[snip lilo.conf file]

Here is a workng example

# LILO configuration file
# generated by 'liloconfig'
#
# Start LILO global section
boot = /dev/hda                         # Device containing boot
sector
compact                                 # faster, but won't work on
all systems.
prompt                                          # Force boot prompt
map = /boot/map                         # Default       = /boot/map
Default = Slink2.2.9            # Default       = /boot/boot.<number>
Timeout = 250                           # Wait <val>/10 sec. after
prompt then boot default
# End LILO global section

# Image sections
# Linux bootable partition config begins

#  Slackware 3.3
# Share 5.1 Gig IDE Drive with Win95 (ugh)
#
Image = /vmlinuz
        root    = /dev/hda3
        label   = slack33
        VGA     = 0xb
        append  = "lp=0x378,0 boot_verbose=1"
##  Note: append line alows printer to be polled
##        saving the IRQ for other, more inportant
#         uses

Image = /boot/Slack2.2.3
        root    = /dev/hda3
        label   = S2.2.3
        VGA     = 0x317
        append  = "video=vesa:ypan,nopal lp=parport0 parport=0x378,none"

#
#   Debian 2.0
Image    = /boot/hamm-36
  label  = hamm-36
  Root   = /dev/hdb1
  VGA    = 0xb
  append = "lp=0x378,0"

#       Debian 2.1
#
Image    = /boot/slink
  label  = Slink
  Root   = /dev/hdb2
  VGA    = 0xb
  append = "lp=0x378,0"

Image    = /boot/Slink-2.2.9
  label  = Slink2.2.9
  Root   = /dev/hdb2
  VGA    = 0x317
  append  = "hdd=cdrom lp=parport0 parport=0x378,none"

#       Debian 2.1-1
#
Image   = /boot/potato
        label   = Potato
        Root    = /dev/hdb10
        VGA             = 0xa
#
Image = /boot/memtest86
        Label = Memtest

#       Win95  Why waste the disk space??
#
Other = /dev/hda1
        Label   = win
        Table   = /dev/hda

# NOTE:  ALL boot images copied to /boot on /dev/hda3 and all
#                other distro's /boot.
#                /etc/lilo.conf in all distro's is the same.
#        This alows any distro to rebuild the MBR on hda.
#        This is overkill but it works!

HTH, YMMV, HAND

--
Real Programmers don't write in PL/I.  PL/I is for programmers who
can't decide whether to write in COBOL or FORTRAN.

Ciao,

Kotya

Shuo dao Cao-Cao, Cao-Cao jiao dao!