Re: Email Config Questions

The error that you got from sendmail might have been caused by not having
'localhost' added to exim.conf on this line:

# Specify your local domains as a colon-separated list here. If this option
# is not set (i.e. not mentioned in the configuration file), the
# qualify_recipient value is used as the only local domain. If you do not want
# to do any local deliveries, uncomment the following line, but do not supply
# any data for it. This sets local_domains to an empty string, which is not
# the same as not mentioning it at all. An empty string specifies that there
# are no local domains; not setting it at all causes the default value (the
# setting of qualify_recipient) to be used.
local_domains = home.com:localhost

I haven't messed with SMTP in inetd at all but I would restore the entry in
inetd.conf and fix the above line in exim.conf (in case it's not already there)
and try again. From the error message it looks like fetchmail is configured right
and the problem is with SMTP.

Mark Wagnon [mwagnon1@home.com] wrote:
> [...]
> configured exim using the #2 option and added my mail server as the
> smarthost.
>
> When I ran fetchmail -v with mail on the server I got an error
> (something about localhost). When I ran it without mail on the server, I
> didn't get any errors. Also, sending mail from mutt gave a
> strange/cryptic error message (to follow). I checked out the fetchmail
> FAQ and uncommented the smtp entry in my /etc/inetd.conf file.
>
> Now when I run fetchmail -v I get several screenfuls of info. Messages
> are found, but they aren't popped of the server. Here's the error
> message (actually only the last part of it):
>
> fetchmail: POP3> TOP 5 99999999
> fetchmail: POP3< +OK 2762 octets
> reading message 5 of 5 (2762 octets)
> fetchmail: SMTP> MAIL
> FROM:<kplug-list-return-2949-mwagnon1=home.com@kernel-panic.com>
> SIZE=2762
> fetchmail: SMTP< 421 Unexpected failure, please try later
> fetchmail: SMTP error: 421 Unexpected failure, please try later
> fetchmail: SMTP> RSET
> fetchmail: SMTP< 250 Reset OK
> fetchmail: SMTP< 220 smaug.cv1.sdca.home.com ESMTP Exim 3.02 #1 Thu, 01
> Jul 1999 23:52:39 -0700
> fetchmail: SMTP> HELO localhost
> fetchmail: SMTP< 250 smaug.cv1.sdca.home.com Hello mwagnon at localhost
> [127.0.0.1]
> fetchmail: SMTP> MAIL FROM:<FETCHMAIL-DAEMON@localhost>
> fetchmail: SMTP< 250 <FETCHMAIL-DAEMON@localhost> is syntactically
> correct
> fetchmail: SMTP> RCPT
> TO:<kplug-list-return-2949-mwagnon1=home.com@kernel-panic.com>
> fetchmail: SMTP< 250
> <kplug-list-return-2949-mwagnon1=home.com@kernel-panic.com> is
> syntactically correct
> fetchmail: SMTP> DATA
> fetchmail: SMTP< 354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
> fetchmail: SMTP: (bounce-message body)
> fetchmail: SMTP>. (EOM)
> fetchmail: SMTP< 421 Unexpected failure, please try later
> . not flushed
> fetchmail: POP3> QUIT
> fetchmail: POP3< +OK mwagnon1 InterMail POP3 server signing off.
> fetchmail: SMTP> QUIT
> fetchmail: normal termination, status 0
>

> When I try to send a message I get this:
>
> File /tmp/mutt-smaug-376-0 saved.
> 1999-07-02 00:06:01 10zxOb-00006F-00 Expansion of "Received: ${if
> def:sender_rcvhost {from ${sender_rcvhost}\n\t}{${if def:sender_ident
> {from ${sender_ident} }}${if def:sender_helo_name
> {(helo=${sender_helo_name})\n\t}}}}by ${primary_hostname} ${if
> def:received_protocol {with ${received_protocol}}} (Exim
> ${version_number} #${compile_number} (Debian))\n\t${if def:received_for
> {for $received_for\n\t}}id ${message_id}${if def:received_for {\n\tfor
> <$received_for}>}" (received_header_text) failed: syntax error in "else"
> substring
> Error sending message, child exited 1 ().
>
> I assume that they are related somehow, and that fixing one will fix the

no clue :(