Where's Apt?

I recently received an E-mail from this mailing list

It was suggested that I make changes to:

/etc/apt/sources.list

It seems that this file does not exist on
my system. Moreover I can't seem to find
anything to do with apt. Could someone say a
little about where I could get this program.

I have been using dselect with a cd-dom that
I bought, and I tried to use it to find apt
but I've had no joy.

Does someone know any good sources of info
viz the usage of apt.

T.I.A.

T:Irvine