Re: Connection to localhost:25 refused

On Thu, Jul 01, 1999 at 08:00:23PM -0000, Pollywog wrote:

> On 01-Jul-99 Alisdair McDiarmid wrote:
> > I've just upgraded to potato fully, with exim 3.02, and now I
> > can't connect to port 25 on localhost:
> >
> > [root:~] # telnet localhost 25
> > Trying 127.0.0.1...
> > telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused
> >
> > Obviously, fetchmail now doesn't work, and I can't receive mail
> > via SMTP either. I've checked /etc/exim.conf for anything obvious
> > but I can't see anything blocking connections.
> >
> > Can anyone help me please?
>
> Several of us had the same problem with this Exim version.
> There is a patch for it, but I am now running Exim from inetd and that fixed
> the problem for me.

If you  have upgraded from pre-3.00 exim  postinst script will disable
smtp entry in /etc/inetd.conf. If you are running exim from inetd
you should execute "eximconfig -i" after installation to reenable smtp
service in inetd. This ONLY applies if you are not running exim as daemon.
There was another problem with exim running as daemon. Check old messages
on this list for more info.