Re: Samba and mount

*- On  1 Jul, Sebastian Canagaratna wrote about "Samba and mount"
>  I am using slink and kernel 2.2.1. When trying to smbmount
>  a drive from an NT maching, I get the error message:
>  SMBFS: need mount version 6
>  mount error: Invalid argument.
>
>  I am using the same command in another linux box with slink
>  and kernel 2.0.34 and there is no problem.
>
>  mount -V for both machines gives 2-9g. I find it difficult to
>  believe that slink would have version 2-9.g if version 6 is
>  available. Am I misinterpreting the error message? Where
>  do I get the latest version of mount? Will it create other problems?

You need to install the smbfx package for use with the 2.2.x kernels.
Then the syntax has(for now) changed for the worse with the smbmount
that is used with the 2.2.x kernels. Then see the man page for
smbmount-2.1.x after you have installed smbfsx.  If you are dual
booting between 2.0.x and 2.2.x kernels then you might want to look at
http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/smbmount.html which is mentioned in the
Changes file in the 2.2.x kernel docs.

--
Brian