can't allways fill capacity of ISDN-line

My system is fairly update with the unstable archive. I have a
dual processor machine, and i run the 2.2.9 kernel. I also run
ipchains.

When I run ftp or fetchmail, everything is ok. Speed is also ok when i
use dselect / apt and download packages.

This is what troubles me: When I run lynx, mozilla or netscape, the speed
is slow, about 1/3 to 1/2 of the ISDN-line capacity, and the utilization
is jumping up and down. But: When I run netscape on another linuxbox
via this machine (ip masquerading) everything is ok.

Now the funniest thing: When i use leafnode, command fetch, I have the
same problem from this machine. However, when i set up an tcp-redirector
on my other machine, speed is ok. That is, I start leafnode fetch, but
point it to my second machine, on which i run redir, and the tcp
connection is redirected (back again to this machine and out through
the isdn card) to my isp's nntp-server.

Any ideas to why i get reduced speed from this machine with some
programs?
Johan.