How to activate the numeric pad under X?

Hi!

Under Debian 2.1, the numeric pad works fine on the console, but under
X, only /,*,-,+, NumLock (LED goes on/off) and enter work - the number keys
are dead.

I tried to get it working with xkeycaps, but failed: The keyboard's
layout looks right to me and the numbers are correctly diplayed, when I
click on them, but the keyboard remains dead :-(

The keyboard is a PC102-type with german layout, if it matters.

I'm really stuck here, how do I get the numeric pad working?

CU
Stefan