dns helper w/netscape - can it be turned off?

Hello,

I managed to break the motherboard of my main pc, so I'm setting up netscape (4.06...) on a an older, funnier machine. Thing is, I'm trying to set up the mail server address under Options|Mail. I enter my providers mail server, and the machine sits for a few minutes. A ps revealed a process (dns helper) running, and eventually netscape responds with the error:

<mail server address here>:unknown host.

Can I turn this dns helper thing off so I can set up my mail and news options in netscape off-line?

Martin