mutt samba Lock count exceeded, remove lock?: [y]

Hello,

About a month ago, I asked about a problem, but never got any response.
Perhaps somebody will know the answer now?

***

recently, my father began reporting an error when trying to save from mutt
to a samba-mounted (W95) drive. Saving locally works fine.

The message is:
  Lock count exceeded, remove lock?: [y]

Responding one way simply pops up the message again, the other way the save
is aborted.

Any suggestions, please?

I've a mixed hamm/slink system:

hi  base-files      2.0            Debian Base System Miscellaneous Files
hi  kernel-source-2 2.0.36-2       Linux kernel source.
ii  libc5           5.4.46-3       The Linux C library version 5 (run-time libr
ii  libc6           2.0.7.19981211 GNU C Library: shared libraries
hi  mutt-i          0.93i-1.1      Text-based mailreader supporting MIME, PGP a
hi  netstd          3.07-2         Networking binaries and daemons for Linux
hi  samba           1.9.18p8-2     A LanManager like fileserver and simple clie
hi  smbfs           2.0.2-5        Mount and umount commands for the smbfs.

(libc6 is version 2.0.7.19981211-6)

TIA

Jiri
--
<jiri@baum.com.au>
We'll know the future has arrived when every mailer transparently