localhost problems

This is just plain irritating. I know I saw this come thru the list a day or two ago, but I just recently cleaned up my old mailboxes. I am unable to reach localhost on my Debain Potato system (kernel 2.2.10). My system is unable to find localhost no matter what I try. The route entry for localhost is non-existant in the route table, and I have checked that /etc/hosts contains the entry for localhost.

/etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1     localhost
209.155.128.15 goofball.org  Goofball

Any attempt to connect to localhost or ping localhost produces nothing.
Please send any ideas to goofball_222@hotmail.com as my domain is undergoing an ISP switch and the e-mail accounts for it are not currently set up.

Thanks,
J.W. Jones