Re: ftping through a router

Hi Rob,

FTP is a difficult protocol in that it uses two channels/connections.  The first one is the command channel which is the one you, the client, makes when it connects to the FTP server.  The second is the data channel which the server makes BACK to the client when any data, such as a file or directory listing, is requested.  The server connects from any port >1023 to the client on port 20, ftp-data.

I guess that you used ipfwadm/ipchains to set your box as a router.  What's probably happening is that you have blocked the incoming connection from the ftp server.  To solve this you can either change your ip rules or try and use the passive (pasv) form of ftp where the server tells the client the port to connect to and the client then does the connection: note that some windows FTP clients can't do this commonly the dos box ones can't.

Finally, if security is your concern you could use an ftp proxy such as the ones in the TIS Firewall toolkit.

HTH,

Steve