Re: dhcp server

Mario Olimpio de Menezes wrote:

> Hi,
>
>         I tried to setup the dhcp-beta (server) under slink. The machine
> has two interfaces. I would like to serve only one, say eth1.
>         I edited the dhcp.conf file, the server was started but the
> clients couldn't get dynamic IPs. Both, Win98 and Linux clients.
>         The conf file has just simple entries, since a single
> 192.168.9.0/24 range will be served.
>         The relevant parts are:
> -------------
> server-identifier 192.168.9.1   # eth1
>
> option domain-name "boo.br";
> option domain-name-servers 200.136.xx.xxx;
>
> subnet 192.168.9.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
>   range 192.168.9.2 192.168.9.254;
>   option domain-name-servers 200.136.xx.xxx;
>   some other options; # I didn't recall from memory
> }
> ----------------
>         What could be wrong with this? What else should I configure?
>         The eth1 interface support MULTICAST. Even though, I set I route
> for 255.255.255.255 manually, but didn't help.
>         With tcpdump, I can see bootp and bootps being sent to
> 255.255.255.255. The clients machines, when booted in Win98, auto assign
> some random IP if can't get via DHCP. After this I can see bogus data
> being generated from them. So the network cables are okay! If I define
> appropriated routes, I can even ping them.
>
>         Please, I would appreciate any help, hint or suggestion on this.
>
> []s,
> Mario O.de Menezes            "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but
>     IPEN-CNEN/SP                 is the Lord's purpose that prevails"
> http://curiango.ipen.br/~mario                 Prov. 19.21
>
> --

I have seen this problem before when I did not have a my own host set under 2.0
kernels
In 2.2 you don't need to set it it is done for you already.

So if you have messed with network under init.d and removed or changed something that
is not allowing your own host to be added to the kernel routeing table this could be
why

--
    Philip S. Hempel  mailto:pshempel@linuxhardcore.com
A work in progress to build a site that will allow businesses