Splitting swap onto two hard drives

Frankie writes:
> What I am about to say probably isn't appropriate to a newbie, but depending on your > competence it may be useful, or you may remember this a few months down the line... > In my experience this seems to speed up my computer by about 40 to 50% when I am
> running lots of apps at once.

In that case you should probably run out and buy yourself more
RAM. If you are *so* dependent on swapping, you do need more memory.

> <techie bit>
> if you don't understand the meaing of the above, you probably shouldn't read this
> next paragraph :-P
> If you split linux over the two harddrives, then the hard disk access will be faster,
> because you are reading from two at once.
> One way to achieve this is to split your swap partition over two harddrives, and set
> them with equal priority.
> </techie bit>

Well, technically speaking you cannot split you swap partition
over two hard drives, but you can have two swap partitions on
different hard drives -- that's probably what you meant.

Nit-picking aside, the answer to whether you'll get faster disk
access by doing this is the usual one: it depends. Generally it
depends on your hard disks controller(s) and the way they are set
up. To give an example, I believe that two IDE hard drives set up as a
master and a slave on a single IDE controller cannot be accessed
simultaneously and thus there is no point in creating two swap
partitions. There is much more interesting and detailed information in
Multi-Disk-HOWTO which can be found in the usual places.

Kaa