Re: named.local

On Thu, 24 Jun 1999, Attila Csosz wrote:

> I'd like to refer to my computer not only as localhost but
> mycomputer.mydomain.com also. I've installed the bind package because of some
> reasons. I'd like to solve this with it. I studied it the named.local file
> seems to be good to do that. How could I do that?

I assume you have bind 8.x since you have just put it up a few days ago
due to qmail needing it :-)

Let your ip address (with numbers) be aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd

Put the following at the and of /etc/named.conf

zone "mydomain.com" {
    file "named.mydomain.com";
    type master;
    notify no;
}

zone "ccc.bbb.aaa.in-addr.arpa" {
    file "named.rev-mydomain.com";
    type master;
    notify no;
}

Then create a file /var/named/named.mydomain.com containing the following:

@ IN SOA myhost.mydomain.com. root.myhost.mydomain.com. (
                              1         ; Serial
                          43200         ; Refresh
                          10800         ; Retry
                         604800         ; Expire
                          86400 )       ; Default TTL

myhost IN A  aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd
       IN MX 10 myhost.mydomain.com.

Then create a file /var/named/named.rev-mydomain.com containing the
following:

@ IN SOA myhost.mydomain.com. root.myhost.mydomain.com. (
                              1         ; Serial
                          43200         ; Refresh
                          10800         ; Retry
                         604800         ; Expire
                          86400 )       ; Default TTL

@   IN NS  myhost.mydomain.com.

ddd IN PTR myhost.mydomain.com.

That's all you need to do, and of course restart named (ndc restart)

Robert Varga

ps: I know Hungarian is a world-known language, at least anywhere I go,
someone always speaks it, but others may not share this opinion, and
others may also be interested in DNS problems, hence English :-)