Re: I need some info/piece of mind before installing linux

Will Lowe wrote:

> > floppy.  The only thing i can think of is keeping them on the second
> > drive while the first drive makes the conversion to linux, then im
> > hoping that in linux i can still access the non-linux second drive,
> Sure.  Linux can read disk drives that have been formatted under Windows,
> no problem.
>
> > also, is there any way to still use Win95 apps in linux, i like to
> > make techno music on my computer and would like to carry over my
> > production music(and video games for that matter) to linux, is this
> > possible??
> The answer is to put linux on one hard drive and windows on the other.

What I am about to say probably isn't appropriate to a newbie, but depending on your
competence it may be useful, or you may remember this a few months down the line...
In my experience this seems to speed up my computer by about 40 to 50% when I am
running lots of apps at once.
<techie bit>
if you don't understand the meaing of the above, you probably shouldn't read this
next paragraph :-P
If you split linux over the two harddrives, then the hard disk access will be faster,
because you are reading from two at once.
One way to achieve this is to split your swap partition over two harddrives, and set
them with equal priority.
</techie bit>

about your techno music,  with what have you written it? Is it with a 'standard'
format like .xm or similar? Because there are players for various modules formats,
and there are (at least) four trackers available for linux. Unfortunately, I have
failed to get any of them to compile - read another post of mine on this list - and
as far as they know they are not packaged for debian. If/when I can get them to
compile, then I fully intend to package them up and make them available.
Just need to read the debian-devel docs again...

frankie