problems with 2.2.8 kernel

I finally have gotten just about everything in my kernel working except for support for my network card.  I am running 2.2.8 kernel and have a LinkSys EtherPCI Lan II card.  In my old 2.0.36 kernel i used NE2k driver and it works fine.  When i try to load this driver in the 2.2.8 kernel i get the following message when i try to do any kind of routing adds or anything.  (Basically it doesn't work, can't talk on the network) :

    SIOCADDRT: Operation not supported by device

Anyone have any idea how i can fix this?  Thank You.
-- --
Joel Keating
jkeating@execpc.com
http://www.execpc.com/~jkeating