Re: [MTA] Problems using sendmail and exim...

On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Sudhakar Chandrasekharan wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 23, 1999 at 02:57:09PM -0500, did Brad write:
> > On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Sudhakar Chandrasekharan wrote:
> > > * Sendmail acting as the MTA.  Any mail to the vsnl.net.in domain is
> > > bouncing.
> > >
> > > www:~ $ echo "testing.  Please ignore" | sendmail -v
> > > kvs@blr.vsnl.net.in
> > > Warning: alias database /etc/aliases.db out of date
> > > kvs@blr.vsnl.net.in... Connecting to sbcsmtp1.ptss.com. via esmtp...
> >                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > Could that be the problem? It seems to be connecting to the wrong address.
>
> ptss.com is one of the MX servers listed for the vsnl.net.in domain.

But you're sending this particular message to blr.vsnl.net.in, which has
no mail exchanger listed (i checked before posting that question)

Actually, checking vsnl.net.in, still there aren't any mail exchangers
listed!
  $ nslookup -type=MX vsnl.net.in dns.vsnl.net.in
  Server:  dns.vsnl.net.in
  Address:  202.54.1.30

  *** No mail exchanger (MX) records available for vsnl.net.in

> > Ok, looking at George Bonser's reply, it gives me something to check.
> >   $ telnet grex.cyberspace.org 25
> >   Trying 204.212.46.130...
[[[SNIP record of a STMP session over telnet]]]
> >   553 <rahul21@cyberspace.org>... One generation passeth away, and another
> >   generation cometh: but the earth abideth for ever.
> > Looks like that is the problem. You'd think it'd give a more appropriate
> > error message, though. Like complaining about the EHLO instead of the RCPT
> > later on...
>
> postmaster@cyberspace.org told me that it was to block spam.

Odd way to block spam. i can understand making the HELO/EHLO require a
valid address, but they're trying to stop spam by obscuring why an invalid
one won't work?

Or is it that the 'require valid HELO' feature is activated per user, and
therefore needs a RCPT line to know whether to accept or reject the
invalid HELO?

Either way, the error message still isn't too helpful...