Re: [MTA] Problems using sendmail and exim...

On Wed, Jun 23, 1999 at 02:57:09PM -0500, did Brad write:
> On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Sudhakar Chandrasekharan wrote:
> > * Sendmail acting as the MTA.  Any mail to the vsnl.net.in domain is
> > bouncing.
> >
> > www:~ $ echo "testing.  Please ignore" | sendmail -v
> > kvs@blr.vsnl.net.in
> > Warning: alias database /etc/aliases.db out of date
> > kvs@blr.vsnl.net.in... Connecting to sbcsmtp1.ptss.com. via esmtp...
>                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Could that be the problem? It seems to be connecting to the wrong address.

ptss.com is one of the MX servers listed for the vsnl.net.in domain.

> Ok, looking at George Bonser's reply, it gives me something to check.
>   $ telnet grex.cyberspace.org 25
>   Trying 204.212.46.130...
>   Connected to grex.cyberspace.org.
>   Escape character is '^]'.
>   220-grex.cyberspace.org Sendmail 8.6.13/8.6.12 ready at Wed, 23 Jun 1999
>   15:47:31 -0400
>   220 ESMTP spoken here
>   EHLO www
>   250-grex.cyberspace.org Hello XXX@XXXX
>   [XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX], pleased to meet you
>   250-EXPN
>   250-SIZE 100000
>   250 HELP
>   MAIL FROM:<thaths@aunet.org> SIZE=1326
>   250 <thaths@aunet.org>... Sender ok
>   RCPT TO:<rahul21@cyberspace.org>
>   553 <rahul21@cyberspace.org>... One generation passeth away, and another
>   generation cometh: but the earth abideth for ever.
> Looks like that is the problem. You'd think it'd give a more appropriate
> error message, though. Like complaining about the EHLO instead of the RCPT
> later on...

postmaster@cyberspace.org told me that it was to block spam.

S.
--
"If there were any justice, my face would be on a bunch of crappy
                 merchandise" -- Homer J. Simpson