Re: SVGA/NVidia patches (Re: Text cursor disappears in Emacs)

%% " Raymond A. Ingles" <inglesra@frc.com> writes:

  rai>  I still want to use the nVidia patches to do some 3D stuff. So, as a
  rai> workaround, I've been doing

  rai>  rxvt -e "emacs -nw"

  rai>  and emacs in nw (no window) mode seems to work.

Well, sure, if you run it in an xterm then you're using the xterm cursor
handling, not Emacs'; xterm (rxvt, etc.) cursors do work.

I'd like to use the new patches, but for the stuff I do day-to-day
having a working version of Emacs in X is much more important.  I used
text-based Emacs for many years before Emacs 19 came out, but now my
Emacs environment is so reliant on X for special key and mouse bindings,
etc. that it's hard to do real, serious work without it :-/.

I've fallen back to the XFree86 3.3.3.1 SVGA server and it works; I'll
keep trying the new deb packages as they're released and hope for a
fix...

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@baynetworks.com>         Network Management Development