Re: netscape fonts

Hartmut Figge wrote:

> Joel Keating wrote:
> >
> > My netscape fonts seem to be way too small.  Most of the pages i go to
> > i can hardly read.  I'm using communicator 4.5 and kde.  Any help
> > would be great.
>
> go to
>
> http://www.frii.com/~meldroc/Font-Deuglification.html
>
> hafi
>
> --

>From the above mentioned web page:

6.1 Netscape Navigator/Communicator

   Netscape Communicator is particularly susceptible to font problems.
If you're using the default
   FontPath, your fonts will be very tiny and very ugly. The first thing
you'll want to do is fix your
   XF86Config FontPath (see section 2.) Using 100dpi fonts improves
readability immensly.
   You'll also want check your font settings under Edit/Preferences,
under Appearance/Fonts. To
   get rid of bitmap font pixelization, turn off the option "Allow
Scaling" on the font selection.

   If you have xfstt, Netscape is perfectly capable of using TrueType
fonts. However, it doesn't
   handle xfstt's quirkiness very gracefully. In Edit/Preferences, you
can specify TrueType fonts
   as the variable and fixed width fonts, however Netscape will not
remember the size you've
   picked after you closed it. If you haven't used the -dpi switch when
starting the X server or
   used the --res switch in xfstt, you'll get very tiny fonts. Once I
applied these two fixes,
   TrueType fonts work great.

I recommend going true type over the 100 dpi X fonts. It makes a huge
difference.

As for the second solution, I've been using xfstt for quite a while now
and, if you choose TTF, they only come in one size, "0". I never had to
go through the above steps.

--
D.Damian