How do I modify the Debian install disk?

I'm trying to install Debian on an HP Vectra PC.  When I put in the (slink)
rescue disk, it loads root.bin, and the linux kernel and starts booting.  It
freezes right after the line that says "md driver 0.35 MAX_MD_DEV=4
MAX_REAL=8".  I'd like to try to remove the offending code from the rescue
disk.  How do I do that?  a:/ROOT.BIN seems to hold a compressed MINIX
filesystem - is that where the config files of interest lie?  How can I edit
root.bin?  Will there be a simple /etc/init.d that I can edit to pull out
whatever is hanging the PC?

Mark
---
Mark Wright