Re: Hardware support in Debian ?

Rolf Edlund wrote:

> Hi, all you Linux users out there!
>
> I'm wondering, is there any info of what hardware support there is in
> Debian (like thare are for SuSE) ?

This is more a function of the Linux kernel than a distribution per se.
I can't think of any exceptions.  Since Linux folks generally rebuild
their kernels at some point, it's not generally really important what
the distributed kernels support.

That having been said, what's supported on the install diskette set does
vary between distributions and versions of distributions, which can be
very important: if your installation kernel doesn't support that SCSI
controller that your CD drive hangs off of, you've got finagling to do
to use that CD-ROM set in your install.  You haven't lived until you've
had to download the whole kernel source over a modem line so you can
build a kernel so you can load every else off of your CD-ROM.

It would be kind of nice if Debian documented what devices their
*install* kernels support, and even provided more install sets.
(Correct me if I'm wrong and they do this somewhere).  I believe the
Slackware site might offer more alternatives on prebuilt kernels; it
might even have saved me that download time...  :-/
Out, damned spot!
Out, spot, out!
      -- Shakespeare for First Grade