Re: POP3 server

On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Algernon NG wrote:

> Help!
>
> I want to set up a mail server. Can you tell me where can I find a good
> POP3 server?
> (Source or Debian Package preferred)

qpopper 2.53 is a good enough option, I think there is a debian package of
it in unstable.

or if you use qmail with maildirs (best solution :-), then use
qmail-pop3d.

if you use qmail without maildirs, then you can use qpopper, or change to
maildirs (suggested if reliability is needed)

don't use qpopper version <2.51 since it has security holes in it.

there is a qpopper 2.3 debian package in stable, contact the maintainer to
know whether it has fixes to close the sechole, if it is not fixed, then
try to use the unstable.

however qmail has only a source debian package, and I don't know whether
it contains qmail-pop3d. If it does not, then adding it to the debianized
qmail can be quite a task (I don't know), since it has altered deployment
structure from the original version.

Robert Varga