Re: /etc/environment

stick@richnet.net hat gesagt: // stick@richnet.net wrote:

> What if /etc/environment comprised of a series of variable=value statements
> that each shell would read and use to set the environment?  Doing it that
> way would require each shell maintainer to modify some of their scripts once
> and only once and for someone to write a reasonable default /etc/environment.
> We could quite easily expand it to allow for ~/.env[ironment] in order to
> make user specific changes centralized as well.  Of course someone would have
> to write a policy guideline to issure that any new shells would conform to
> this new standard, but it wouldn't be that big of a deal, IMO.

I would like to add that ssh also reads /etc/environment and expects
name=value pairs there only. So if you have lines like:

PAGER=less
export PAGER

in /etc/environment, ssh complains about a bad syntax with this:

Bad line in /etc/environment:  export PAGER

So even though I only use bash on my system, I can't easiliy keep
environment-vars in  /etc/environment without getting ugly warnings by ssh.

bye
--
                                                 __    __
 Frank Barknecht       ____ ______   ____ __ trip\ \  / /wire ______