Re: [OFF-TOPIC] D-Link DE-650 - PCMCIA

Quoting Paul Harris (harri-pc@ee.uwa.edu.au):
> > > does anyone know if the kernel supports this card? i only saw options for
> > > the de-600 to de-620.
> >
> > I use one. It says NE2000 compatible when you plug it in.
> > I guess people get bored with adding new model numbers
> > when they're basically similar underneath.
> >
> > What's far more important is the controller chipset in the
> > laptop. For example I can now use the ti1220 in slink
> > whereas I had to compile the sources from csb.stanford.edu
> > with hamm. However, I can't install from scratch even in
> > slink because the installation program only offers the
> > choice of i82365 and tcic. This made installation quite tough
> > as the slink installation kernel also has no ppa support.
>
> i'm trying to compile a 2.2.10 kernel for it, but I can't find the option
> for "Pcmcia NE2000 compatible support" for the apne.o module. Its in the
> Configure.help file... or is there another way of doing things for pcmcia?
> (i've only worked with desktops up until now). when does the controller
> chipset come into things? how does that work?

Short answer: do nothing.

I don't know what the apne.o module is. But it sounds as if you
may be looking for a problem that isn't there.

If you're compiling a kernel, you've got kernel-package, kernel-source
and pcmcia-source installed. Once you've configured the kernel in the
usual way (I use make menuconfig), you do

make-kpkg clean
make-kpkg --revision=foobar.1.0 kernel_image
make-kpkg --revision=foobar.1.0 modules_image

which makes two packages which you then install.
Note that as far as pcmcia is concerned, there's nothing to do.
For example, I configure
        Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit) [*] (built-in)
        3COM cards N                 (don't build)
because 3COM comes up automatically. If you use pcmcia IDE stuff,
then there's an option for that. But I never mention what sort of
card manager or card I have - they're all in the source and,
AIUI, you make a bundle of modules because you don't know a priori
what make of card somebody else might want to push into the slot.

Cheers,