Re: IMAP default mailbox in user's home dir

On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, Rigacci wrote:

   I'm setting an IMAP server for math students. I wish the user
   mailbox to be in each home directory, so quota can prevent someone
   filling the /var/spool/mail.

   I yet configured smail and pine to search for the user inbox in
   ${HOME}/mail/inbox file. In the same mail directory Pine creates
   its folders.

   The IMAP server (imap 4.4-4) is OK to store folders in
   ${HOME}/mail/ but it insists on searching /var/spool/mail/${USER}
   for the inbox.

   I have two questions:

   1) Is it possible to change imap without recompiling it? I read a
   lot of warning for using a configuration file.

   2) Is there a Debian policy about mail in user's home directory?

I know this isn't one of your questions, but why not give each user
disk quota in the directory /var/spool/mail?  This would avoid
questions 1 & 2.

Dennis
--
Dennis Kelly <dpk@egr.msu.edu>