Re: startx

On Sun, Jun 20, 1999 at 11:51:56PM -0400, Chris Flipse wrote:
> Is there a way to set up startx so that it will open on a specified tty
> (say, tty 13) instead of the next available one?  I know it can be done
> with the various x login apps, but I've had some bad experiences with
> xdm and wdm locking up my box, and I prefer not to take that chance.  :)

To be annoyingly pedantic, it's not startx itself that starts on a tty, but
the X server itself.

startx is a shell script wrapper around the xinit program (which is written
in C), which is what actually starts the X server (say, XF86_SVGA).

On a Debian system there is yet one more level of indirection, as xinit
actually calls our X server wrapper, /usr/X11R6/bin/X, which then executes
the X server.

Now, aren't you sorry you asked?  :)

At any rate, you guessed correctly that you can tell startx what virtual
terminal you want the server to start on.

Try this:

startx -- vt13

The double dash is important; don't leave it out.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |     One man's theology is another man's
Debian GNU/Linux                 |     belly laugh.