diald -- help or source!

diald is dying when trying to run the connect script.  In the message log I see that it attempts to open the connection, and immediately reports that the connection script failed.  It doesn't seem to access the modem or anything.  pppd works just fine, but I can't get chat to run a simple connect script either.

Can someone tell me what to look for?  Or, alternately, tell me where I might find the source for diald?  I'm not afraid to get into it with a debugger and really screw things up... ;)

Cheers!
-- Tracy