X-Windows running automatically and not working. :(

I'm terribly new to Debian and Linux in general.  After a lot of
stuffing about (and some help - thanx John!) I got it installed.

But when I tried to configure X-Windows I get a mouse that doesn't
respond, a 320x200 resolution or so and can't seem to do anything with
the keyboard.  Ctrl-Alt-Backspace just flashes back to the shell for
a fraction of a second then back into X-Windows.

Worst of all, X-Windows runs automatically when I boot so I can't get
to the shell to do anything about it. :(

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this please?

-------------- Revenant [revenant@interact.net.au] -------------------
Why use a keyboard layout deliberately designed to be slow and
awkward?  For a faster, more comfortable and free layout try Dvorak.
http://members.xoom.com/Aggie97/DVORAK.HTML for more information.
http://www.dvorakint.org/ for lotsa links.