Re: dselect, database out of sync?

*- On 19 Jun, Johan Ur Riise wrote about "dselect, database out of sync?"
> When I run install in deselect, i get messages like these ones (hundreds
> of them):
>
> Skipping deselected package et.
> Skipping deselected package expect5.24-dev.
> Version 19971204-3 of f2c already installed, skipping.
> Version 0.0-17 of fakeroot already installed, skipping.
> Version 2.5.4a-3 of flex already installed, skipping.
>

> Is this normal? I suspect that the database of installed packages is out
> of sync. If that is the case, is there some way of restoring the database,
> short of reinstalling the whole system?

It is normal for the older 'access' methods.  It is going through each
package and checking what you want to do with it.  'Skipping deselected'
means that you have either a _ or - in front of it in the 'Select'
screen.  The 'already installed, skipping' means that you have a * in
front of the package in the 'Select' screen but the package is already
installed with that version on your system.

The newer 'access' methods, i.e. apt, do not do this and jump right to
the packages that either need to be installed, upgraded, or removed.

Don't worry you are fine.  Try installing apt and use that method.

--
Brian