dselect, database out of sync?

When I run install in deselect, i get messages like these ones (hundreds
of them):

Skipping deselected package et.
Skipping deselected package expect5.24-dev.
Version 19971204-3 of f2c already installed, skipping.
Version 0.0-17 of fakeroot already installed, skipping.
Version 2.5.4a-3 of flex already installed, skipping.

Is this normal? I suspect that the database of installed packages is out
of sync. If that is the case, is there some way of restoring the database,
short of reinstalling the whole system?

Johan.