Re: Which FTAPE?

On Sat, Jun 19, 1999 at 09:52:13AM -0000, Paul wrote:
> Thanks to recent help from Nico Galoppo & Peter Makholm I have installed the
> crucial RPM's that I need using Alien. They work great!!
>
> Now that I know I will be able to use this system I wish to load my files from
> tapes. I am confused over whether I should have Ftape selected in the drivers
> selection screen during install or accept the package Ftape and Ftape-Utils
> in dselect. They are automatically selected using the "Dial-Up" setup option.
> I am using Cheapbytes "SLINK" CD's by the way. Should I have one of these or
> both?

The ftape driver during install is the kernel module for the installed
kernel.  These (for 2.0.36) are version 2 of ftape (the 2.2 kernels
have version 3.04d).  The dselect packages are for a different version
of ftape, 4.03pre1.

> I see the config stage of dselect report that this version of Ftape is for
> Kernal 2.0.34. I believe the CD's automatically install version 2.0.36. Is this
> the problem?

Yes, they need to be compiled with the kernel you are using.  Slink does
not appear to have the ftape modules packaged for the installed kernel.

> On my other system I compile ftape-3.04d as a module but the process I use
> assumes a /usr/src/linux that is not on Debian.
>
> I would then use:-
>
> modprobe zftape ; modprobe zft-compressor
> tar xvf /dev/nqft0
>
> to restore.
>
> Can someone kindly point me in the right direction.

Install the kernel-source-2.0.36 package (or get the source for 2.0.37,
the latest of the 2.0x series from one of the linux.kernel.org mirrors).
With that you can either compile the kernel with the built-in older
version of ftape (not recommended) or compile the kernel without ftape
support and separately compile ftape-3.04d or the newer 4.0x version
available from http://www.math1.rwth-aachen.de/~heine/ftape/

If you compile your own kernel, you should consider using the features
of the Debian kernel-package package.

Bob