dpkg not broken....my disk is.

I've posted a message earlier about dpkg not installing....I found the
source of problem. Turned out after the upgrade of almost all vital
packages filesystems do not umount at hte poweroff/reboot. Also, the disk
is 16.4% non-contigiuos. That was causing problems with certain files,
which happened to be the /var/lib/dpkg/info files. I had to do trick the
dpkg into believing everything was ok. (remove the files completely
corrupted, replace and improvise other files).

Any way to defrag the partition? defrag does not seem to be working, it
gives me error message:
bad magic number in super block

TIA,
 Andrew