Re: Getting there

I completely agree!

But why does configurability exclude simplicity? It doesen't! You can have
both, and you know what, this is what I would like to see in Linux: A stable
OS for ALL.

With a program like XFmail you can either use "normal" POP/SMTP setup, or you
can configure it to use exim/sendmail/fetchmail. I chose the latter since I
find this to be a good solution for me. Others might find this too complicated.
I do NOT want to tell them that they should not use Linux. I do want them to
have options no other OS has: Simplicity and configurability at once, and at
present Linux is very close to offer this. That is why I called my initial
posting: "Getting there" :)

On 18-Jun-99 Robert Rati wrote:
> I think what you are getting it is one of the biggest problems with Linux,
> in a way.  Most people like Linux for it's configurability and control
> over every aspect of the OS.  I know that's one of the reasons I like it.
> Problem is, by packaging products like you suggest gets away from that
> control and configurability and heads more towards a windows type
> environment, which is something almost all Linux users want to avoid.
> Linux takes a lot more time to setup than any other OS (maybe BeOS comes
> close), but that's because you have so many more options.  You can't have
> easy of configuration without losing control.  Atleast not well.  I agree
> with most of the posts that say keeping the e-mail pieces separate is a
> good idea.  It gives you that level of control and configurability you
> can't find with any other major OS.  Bottom line, to use linux, you have
> to WANT to put in the time to learn and configure things.  In doing so,
> you also gain knowledge of how programs work and how the OS fits together.
> Just my two cents.

Regards,
Christian Dysthe
Email: cdysthe@bigfoot.com