Symbol for parameter not found - ethernet

I searched the archives for this, and found the same problem, but no
answer.

I've lost my network card on a 2.0.36 installation. It's a 3C509B card,
and on boot-up I see the error "Symbol for parameter io not found".
After logging in I can do an "insmod 3c509" and the card appears to be
recognized (but I don't know how to get the network started now that the
card is....).

1] How do I fix the boot-up problem?

2] How would I start the network after starting the NIC manually?

Thanks.