Re: Getting there

On Fri, Jun 18, 1999 at 11:23:02AM -0500, Christian Dysthe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am sitting here now on my Debian box listening to NetRadio having X11Amp
> ready, all in all, I have a new envoironemt to work in that in many ways is
> just as appealing as my Windows environment was, except for the fact that this
> one is much more stable and looks soooo much better than MS Windows does
> (thanks to WindowMaker!).
>
> And then I have to miss two essential tools:
>
> 1. A stable www browser.
> 2. A multi account email program.
>
> 1. Netscape doesn't even need many comments. It us unstable and full of bugs
> under Linux. It works, but it does crash, alot! Always has under Linux. And I
> do not want lynx! :)

Strange..I rarely have Netscape crash. I'm using Netscape Navigator (not
Communicator) 4.6 from potato. Maybe that's the reason? Try one of the
Mozilla releases out. They are much faster than Netscape...just a little
unstable. Also, Opera is porting their browser to Linux using Qt.

> 2. Linux people tell me to use mutt or pine or elm or whatever, but I do
> not want that. I want something like Outlook Express, The Bat! or even Eudora.
> But there is no such thing! A combo consisting of XFmail, exim and
> fetchmail is the only solution that comes close to those Win MUA's in my
> opinion.
That's the point. Exim sends mail/sorts incoming mail, and fetchmail
provides a bridge from POP3/IMAP and who knows what else. If a new
protocol came out tommorow, then fetchmail would be the only program
that needed to be modified. MUA means just that - the user's interface
to his/her mail files. I've tried a half dozen email programs, and I'm
safe in the fact that 33 MB worth of email is safe inside of the
mbox-format files. A combo gives you a tremendous amount of flexibilty.

While you are checking out X mail programs, look at empath,
http://without.netpedia.net/empath.html
and mahogany,
http://www.phy.hw.ac.uk/~karsten/Mahogany/
Both are in the early stages of development. I just sent an email
to the author of empath, offering to help with development.

> Then there is email software connected to Gnome and KDE. I do not want
> that either. Is Linux going to become "worse" than Windows, because you will
> have to choose a desktop environment you do not really like because it comes
> with "must have" apps? I hope not.... Help me out here! :)

Choosing a desktop environment is not required. All you need to have is the
various lib* packages for KDE and GNOME, and you can run both types in
WindowMaker. Quite honestly, balsa is pathetic, and kmail is mediocre at
best.

> I just find it strange that I am sitting here now with this wonderful
> multimedia capable, efficient and good looking desktop environment running a
> great Linux distro feeling I lack BASIC Internet software.
You've got plenty of basic Internet software. I was 800 miles away, and
I dialed in to my Linux box and read my email. It was just like I
was sitting in front of the screen; just as fast because it was
a console app (pcAnywhere doesn't even compare). Can you do that with
windows?
--
Stephen Pitts
smpitts@midsouth.rr.com