Re: Window Maker

On Thu, Jun 17, 1999 at 10:14:02PM +0000, Christian Lavoie wrote:
> > I get that when I type "wmaker" at my prompt.  I've just configured my
> > display, so I don't know how to save that as my WindowMaker default
> > display.  Any suggestions?
>
> If I recall correctly, you'll be in the OpenLook windowmanager by
> default. Find an empty space on the desktop and click one of the
> buttons of the mouse (i don't remember which one, try all of 'em =).
> There should be an option to switch to windowmaker. (That change also
> should be permanent, if nothing goes wrong)

You don't remember correctly. The default window manager for X is the
twm window manager, not ol(v)wm. The correct way to setup what programs
run when you start X is to make an .xsession file, like this:

echo "exec /usr/X11R6/bin/WindowMaker" > ~/.xsession
chmod +x ~/.xsession

>From then on, use a text editor like joe (good choice for newbies) in
order to edit the ,xsession file.
--