Re: communicator 4.6 - ftp bug

Rick Macdonald wrote:

> I have this problem with gz file when it's not tar.gz. Just now I did some
> tests and added a mime type to netscape
> preferences/navigator/applications:

> MIMIEType:   application/x-gzip-compressed
> Suffixes:    gz
> Handled By:  Unknown:PromptUser
>
> Now it downloads the sane diff file as 17KB compressed, but I have to add
> the .gz suffix to the filename in the netscape dialog or rename after.
> Netscape seems to insist on stripping the extension.
>
> This is closer. Can anyone improve this?

yes.
but first: nice, no that´s not sufficient: _very_ nice.

in Netscape.ad comment out the following lines to

*encodingFilters:                                 \
        x-compress :  : .Z     : uncompress -c  \n\
        compress   :  : .Z     : uncompress -c  \n
!       x-gzip     :  : .z,.gz : gzip -cdq      \n\
!       gzip       :  : .z,.gz : gzip -cdq      \n

with that netscape finally behaves as it should. don´t forget, netscape
needs the link /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/Netscape pointing to
Netscape.ad. perhaps it is sufficient to copy these lines to
preferences.js.

as you can see above, your line ´Suffixes´ should be completed to
Suffixes:    z,gz

there should also be another entry to handle the .Z-files properly. but
what about the appropriate MIMIEtTpe? i haven´t found the possible
values. could you please point me to a location, where this types are
listed?

hafi

ps:
there may be some curious people, which can profit from my researches so
far.
i had detected, that the problem wasn´t debian related and was willing
to post my question in an appropriate newsgroup. i had done the
following tests on my machine (all with communicator):

debian slink (glibc 2.0)
   4.6, 4.61, 4.07   => fail
suse 5.3 (libc5)
   4.5               => fail