RE: howto: booting from CD

On 17-Jun-99 James D. Freels wrote:
> I have also configured the Adaptec BIOS to allow a bootable CD.
> However, the scsi ID of the bootable image remains at ID=0 (the hard
> drive).

Hi,

on my MB (Gigabyte) the AMIBios and the Adaptec Bios tricked each
other -- The Bios knows how to boot CDROM (EIDE that is) and the Adaptec
looks if there is a bootable CDROM (this is somewhre in the Adaptec
Options menu) and if it is, it will swap that to drive "A:" -- floppy
yes. So if I tell the MB-BIOS to boot Floppy and the Adaptec Bios to
boot from CD if there is a bootable one My Box will boot from CD but
the BIOS thinks it's floppy. After boot "A:" is floppy again.
I'm not sure who is winnig with both a floppy and a CD.

Maybe something like that is your problem. Look for CD-Options in the
Adaptec BIOS Menu. (Ctrl-A) during SCSI-checks at boottime. Thats right
after Memory, PnP and IDE checks.

K.-H.

E-Mail: Karl-Heinz Herrmann <k.-h.herrmann@fz-juelich.de>
Date: 17-Jun-99      Time: 18:36:53