raid

I am using debian 2.1 on a Pentium II

I would like to set-up a RAID-1 array of 2 IDE drives (on separate
controllers).

I am currently using the 2.0.36 kernel on the distribution.

Can I continue using 2.0.36 or do I have to upgrade to 2.2.x?

  If I can: then what patches do I have to apply to it for using RAID-1?
  In dmesg I find a line that says that the multiple device driver is
  already running, but I didn't put up any patches, however the raidtools
  package is installed from slink (0.42-16)

If I cannot:

  What else do I have to download for using 2.2.x?

     I seem to remember having people mentioning me about bugs occuring to
     them with 2.2.x.  They told that upgrading to libc6.1 fixed the bugs
     but I cannot find the libc6.1 package neither in stable nor in
     unstable...

Please help,

   thanks in advance,

Robert Varga