Re: routing help

	Subject: routing help
	Date: Thu, Jun 17, 1999 at 12:38:14AM -0500

Quoting Robert Rati(ratirh@cs.purdue.edu):
> I need some help with setting up a firewall for a router.  Basically, I
> just want to set it up to forward packets on to other machines on the
> network.  I read the manpage for ipfwadm, and it looks like ipfwadm -F -p
> deny is where I want to begin.  Setting the default rule to deny.  Problem
> is, when I do this, I get this error:
>
> ipfwadm:setsockopt failed: Invalid arguement
>
> I've also noticed I don't have a /proc/net/ip-forward, which could be a
> big problem.  I've got masquerading compiled into the kernel, but I could
> find no option that talked about forwarding.  The 2.0.x kernels had this
> as a specific option, but the 2.2.x kernels don't appear to.  Can someone
> give me some hints or nudges in the right direction?
>
> 								Rob

Rob
  If, as it seems, that you are using the 2.2.x kernel, you have to
read the /usr/src/linux/Documentation files, no matter which kernel
you are using.

ie
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/proc.txt:   Enable or disable IP
forwarding on this interface.

/usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes

   As of 2.1.102, the IP firewalling code has been replaced; ipfwadm
will no longer work.  You need to obtain "ipchains," available from
http://www.rustcorp.com/linux/ipchains/ , and use that instead of
ipfwadm.

HTH, YMMV, HAND

--
Real software engineers don't debug programs, they verify correctness.
This process doesn't necessarily involve execution of anything on a