Re: Debian Updates?

>> "MM" == Marc Matteo <mmatteo@sacbee.com> writes:

MM> So what determines an "r" release?  The Debian pages say the
MM> current release is at 2.1r2.  How do I know if I have an "r2"
MM> release?

Use apt on a stable tree on a server. If there won't be any packages
installed on apt-get dist-upgrade, you are in sync with the point release.

MM> Are the "r" changes automatically rolled into the "stable" dist
MM> online?

Actually, the last pointrelease _is_ the stable tree on the servers.

MM> What about security updates?  I've added "deb
MM> http://security.debian.org/ stable updates" to my sources.list
MM> file but I see that not all the security updates are in
MM> "security.debian.org" but rather some (like procmail) are still in
MM> "proposed-updates".

All updates for slink go the proposed-updates, which will then from
time to time merged into the stable tree and a new pointrelease is
announced.

scurity.debian.org is pretty new. It will hold security updates until
(but they won't be deleted for convenience) they appear in
proposed-updates.

The purpose is a central location for security updates. Also the
packages are available right after upload. Before, they would sit in
Incoming and wait for the daily dinstall run to move them to proposed
updates.

MM> How does "proposed-updates" differ from "unstable"?

proposed-updates are updates to the stable tree. Usually, only
security related things and bugfixes to the old version, no new code
is allowed into stable.

unstable is the developement tree that will be released as Debian 2.2
potato.

MM> Speaking of unstable.  What if my favorite package of "foo-1.0"
MM> gets updated to "foo-1.1".  Will that package ever make it back
MM> into the "stable" tree or will is belong to the "unstable" tree
MM> until that whole tree becomes the next stable release?

The first is true.

mm> If it's going to remain in the "unstable" tree is there a way to
mm> automatically get apt to show it, *and* offer me a choice of the
mm> "unstable" foo-1.1 or the "stable" foo-1.0?

No, there is no such thing.

you could temporary enable a line with unstable in sources.list, do a
apt-get update
apt-get install foo
disable the unstable line
apt-get update