Re: apt-get segfaults while creating dependency tree

Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Keith G. Murphy wrote:
>
> > Woooahhh!!!  I just swapped the two 4MB SIMMs to each other's slots.
> > After rebooting, I can no longer cause the seg faulting.  (And I *have*
> > rebooted the machine before without curing the problem).  Might be bad
> > memory!  ;-)  (Or even bad seating?)
>
> It would be sensitive to bad memory yes, if it corrupts its output once
> then it will save that to disk and do it again and again.. Looks like I
> need to put in a segv handler that will erase the cache files.

For those of you who hate loose ends:

apt-get did start segfaulting again after I had swapped the SIMMs.
memtest86 showed a shitload of errors on that machine, such that I
doubted if it was valid (I mean, how could *anything* have even
worked???).  However, a better machine (486DX/66 this time, real
high-tech stuff...) got freed up and I wholesale moved the disks and
everything over to it (its memory tested out good with memtest86).  So
far, I can't get it to segfault however many times I run apt-get
update.  Looking good...  :-)  Thanks to all who helped.  If nothing
else, now I have a nice memory test boot disk.