Re: apt-get segfaults while creating dependency tree

	Subject: Re: apt-get segfaults while creating dependency tree
	Date: Thu, Jun 10, 1999 at 03:18:23PM -0500

Quoting Keith G. Murphy(keithmur@mindspring.com):
> Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Keith G. Murphy wrote:
> >
> > > As to what I did: I believe it started when I stupidly started an
> > > apt-get upgrade, then realized I didn't want to upgrade all that shit
> > > and CTRL/C'ed it while it was downloading the deb files.  I bet it was
> > > updating the cache for the kernel source package when I killed it!
> >
> > No, APT is totally done with the files by that point and has re-opened
> > them readonly. That would not explain it, can you think of something else?
> >
> Hmmmm.  No.
>
> At this point, it often starts segfaulting again, until I (again) rm the
> .bin files.  I can make always make it seg fault by repeatedly doing an
> apt-get update. Something is definitely screwed somewhere...
>
> Woooahhh!!!  I just swapped the two 4MB SIMMs to each other's slots.
> After rebooting, I can no longer cause the seg faulting.  (And I *have*
> rebooted the machine before without curing the problem).  Might be bad
> memory!  ;-)  (Or even bad seating?)
>
> Now if someone could recommend some good memory diagnostics...

Package: hwtools
Version: 0.3-4
 A collection of tools for hardware troubleshooting / optimization:
 - irqtune: Adjusts priority of interrupts (Improves serial
   performance)
 - scanport: Scans for hardware not already handled by linux drivers
 - scsiinfo: Display SCSI drive low level information and modifies
   SCSI
 drive settings.
*-*-*-*
 - memtest86: Real Mode Memory test
*-*-*-*-
- scsidev: Make permanent SCSI LUN -> devicename connections
 .
 Be aware that these tools require the knowledge of what is going on
 be used properly.
installed-size: 557

--
Real Time, adj.:
  Here and now, as opposed to fake time, which only occurs there and then.