Re: Debian Updates?

Marc Matteo wrote:

> Hi all,

[snip]

> What about security updates?  I've added "deb
> http://security.debian.org/ stable updates" to my sources.list file but
> I see that not all the security updates are in "security.debian.org" but
> rather some (like procmail) are still in "proposed-updates".
>
> How does "proposed-updates" differ from "unstable"?
>
> Speaking of unstable.  What if my favorite package of "foo-1.0" gets
> updated to "foo-1.1".  Will that package ever make it back into the
> "stable" tree or will is belong to the "unstable" tree until that whole
> tree becomes the next stable release?  If it's going to remain in the
> "unstable" tree is there a way to automatically get apt to show it,
> *and* offer me a choice of the "unstable" foo-1.1 or the "stable"
> foo-1.0?  I assume that if I add an 'unstable' entry to my sources.list
> file I will have essentially initiated and "update" to the "unstable"
> tree - I don't necessarily want that (yet).
>
> I hope you'll excuse my meandering confusion with this question.

I'm kinda curious about some of this to. I took a look at the README in
the proposed updates directory, and it reads that the proposed updates
dir is the place where the fixed debs reside until their testin is
complete. Then I guess they're moved to the stable dir.

It provides a line for your sources.list file if you want to access
those files, but I'm not sure how "stable" they are. It's:

    deb http://ftp1.us.debian.org/debian dists/proposed-updates/

Proposed updates seems to differ from unstable in that it provides a
temporary place for fixed debs before they get put into stable (the
current release). Unstable is the place where *new* versions are kept
until they are ready for the next release. I'm confusing myself here :)
So, proposed-updates are fixes to the current release that are in the
process of being tested, and unstable is where all work for the next
release go.

As for your question on your favorite app, I think it depends on whether
the version number was changed because of a new software release by the
developer, or if it was changed to reflect a fix.

I think that once stable begins shipping, then no new packages (new
versions or just plain new to debian) are added to it. Those are put in
unstable for the next release.

hth
--
                                         __   _